Tuesday 2 June 2009

Read @ your library

I can't stress my opinion about the importance of reading enough, and it's why I chose to write about it first. Reading good books is probably one of the most important things a person can do for themselves. If there's one thing someone takes away from this blog, I hope that it's to read books or to read more books. I struggle to do it enough myself.

I recently watched a documentary on the life of Confucius, an important social philosopher, who lived in China during 551 BC – 479 BC. It was interesting to learn the story of his life. One of the most insightful things I took from the documentary was that Confucius spent much of his time in the libraries of his era, reading as many ancient texts as he possibly could. It's no wonder that such an exceptional person, who's brilliant philosophies affected so many countries of the Far East, spent his time reading.

Here's a quote from him:

"You cannot open a book without learning something."
Confucius